community anti-drug forum

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sat Nov 3 11:12:00 CST 2001

[ed:  Jean-Robert raises some interesting questions on anti-drug
organizing.]

 From: "Jean-Robert Primeau" <jrprim at microtec.net>

Hi Randy ! I cannot stay silent on this one.

Is pursuing a 'drug free' America a progressive community
organizing effort
?

Not in my view ! Not recognizing the mere reality of the presence of
drugs
after 92 years of prohibition in American land (first law in 1909) and
not
opposing the tragic war on drugs with it's racist consequences (see
http://www.drcnet.org/gateway/poc.html  -- "African Americans
comprise 12%
of the nation's population, and 13% of its drug users, yet they
account for
one third of all drug-related arrests and nearly two thirds of all
convictions. The impact of the black market and drug enforcement
on the
Black community is socially, economically and politically
devastating.") in
the US and the great turmoils in the Third World seems to me
undesirable.

Isn't community organizing also about consciousness rising ? Like
with
tobacco or alcohol, the challenge is to learn to manage drugs.
Trying to
eliminate them is idealistic, moralistic and destructive. Leaving the
drugs
market to gangs and mafias is the best way to have our children be
exposed
to any drug, anywhere, any time.

Jean-Robert Primeau
Montréal, Québec