Job: Assoc. Editor at NYC union newspaper

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Nov 2 15:16:01 CST 2001

[ed:  this job post includes salary info.]

From:  "Peter Hogness / Clarion Editor" <psc-editor at att.net>

[PLEASE CIRCULATE TO ANYONE YOU THINK MIGHT BE
INTERESTED, INCLUDING COMM-ORG
LISTSERV IF APPROPRIATE.  THANKS.]

Clarion, the newspaper of the Professional Staff Congress (PSC),
is hiring
an associate editor.  The deadline for applications is November 30.
Please
forward this note to anyone you think might be interested.

The PSC is a progressive union representing over 20,000 faculty
and
professional staff at the 18 campuses of the City University of New
York
(CUNY).  With a new leadership elected last year, the union is in
the midst
of dramatic change. Members and officers have worked to make
the PSC more
democratic, more activist, more engaged with city politics-- and
those
changes have been reflected in our newspaper.

Clarion is a different kind of union paper.  We print dissenting
views, and
we do real journalism.  Last summer a Clarion investigation
revealed that
the head of the NYC Board of Education, a crony of Mayor Giuliani,
is paid
$115,000 a year for a no-show job at CUNY. The story was
immediately picked
up in the daily press, and we expect to break other stories in the
future.

We also publish analytical articles on a wide range of subjects,
reflecting
CUNY's role in city politics and the fact that our membership
includes so
many serious scholars.  Recent issues have examined how
workfare in NYC
keeps poor people out of college, and how globalization is affecting
public
higher education.

Many PSC members and staff contribute to each issue of Clarion,
as well as
freelance writers and photographers, but coordination and direction
come
from the editor and associate editor.  As part of a two-person team,
the
associate editor will need to assume significant independent
responsibility.
In addition to reporting, writing and editing, the job involves helping
plan each month's issue, coordination with freelance writers and
photographers, research, fact-checking and some administrative
work, plus
occasional writing for other union communications projects.

We're looking for someone who's good with deadlines and details,
who has a
B.A. and two or more years of experience working for a periodical.
Photography or desktop publishing skills would be a plus.  Salary is
$35,000
a year with an excellent benefits package.

Those who'd like to apply should send a resume, clips and a cover
letter to:
Faye Alladin, PSC, 25 W. 43rd Street, NY, NY 10036; or fax them
212-302-7815; or send by e-mail to psc-editor at att.net.  Again, the
deadline
is November 30. The PSC is an equal opportunity employer, and
we especially
encourage women and people of color to apply.

--Peter Hogness, Editor
Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334
25 W. 43rd Street, New York, NY 10036
psc-editor at att.net