query: cell phones and organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Nov 2 15:12:01 CST 2001

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with your

From:  Linda Bosma <bosma at epi.umn.edu>

Hi,
I'm looking for some feedback on use of cell phones by community
organizers, in
particular for neighborhood organizing.  As more people own and
use cell
phones, are they becoming necessary for organizers?  Are they
essential to be
accessible, or seen as pretentious?  Do they connect us to the
community or
alienate us from it?  Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Thanks!
Linda Bosma
bosma at epi.umn.edu
University of Minnesota

[ed:  while Linda's query is focused on day to day use, the best
examples I know of cell phones in action have been during protests
against global capital.  In those cases, and it seems especially in
Washington DC in 2000, the cell phone was a crucial piece of
organizing technology to organize decentralized actions on the
streets, being to communicate things like police concentrations,
vulnerable intersections, and other tactical information at the street
level.  Cell phones were also used by Seattle protestors who were
able to get the word out about being secretly held on buses for
hours without food, water, or toilet facilities.]