Upcoming Quebec City protests

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu May 10 11:37:13 CDT 2001

[ed: Can anyone inform us on the French phrase in yesterday's message?  I
don't know if the original source of the message was from Quebec.  It may
have originated from the U.S. where "Le Grande Fromage" is common.  But all
I can find in Canada/Quebec or France is  La Grande Fromage or Le Grand
Fromage, as Martin notes.  I just thought we should find out if U.S.
cultural imperialism is running amok again.  :-)  ]

From: "Martin C. Tangora" <tangora at uic.edu>

In French that would be Grand Fromage.
Or is it feminine gender in its slang meaning?
But then it should be *La* and not Le.