query: progressive publications

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon May 7 11:47:19 CDT 2001

[ed:  please copy COMM-ORG with your responses to David's query.]

From: David Holtzman <bluegardenia at usa.net>

Hello:

I will be an intern this summer with a Boston environmental justice
organization that hopes to found a newspaper, which it will use as a means of
educating people in the community it serves on development issues but also
encouraging them to take action. As a sort of activist who did mainstream
journalism in the past, I felt it was very difficult to really reach people
through a newspaper and encourage their involvement. It seemed like
word-of-mouth worked better than the written word as an organizing tool. But I
am excited about the prospect of a social justice publication that reaches the
general public, not just isolated subscribers. I was wondering if people know
of good examples of this type of publication?

David Holtzman