action: socially responsible investing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:06:22 CST 2001

From: NJWollman at manchester.edu

COME TO A DEMONSTRATION IF YOU'LL BE IN NEW YORK CITY APRIL 18.
IF NOT, MAKE A SHORT CALL TO SUPPORT THE EFFORT (SEE BELOW)

TIAA-CREF: "OUT OF THE BAD AND INTO THE GOOD"

DEMONSTRATION SUPPORTING PENSION GIANT TIAA-CREF INVESTING OF
PENSION FUNDS IN POSITIVE VENTURES AND DIVESTING OF NIKE STOCK,
AS WELL AS OTHER IRRESPONSIBLE INVESTMENT, SUCH AS TOBACCO (YOU
NEEDN'T HOLD FUNDS IN THE SYSTEM TO PARTICIPATE)

In support of the campaign described on the reverse, we and
allies will be holding a demonstration at the residence
(high-rise) of the TIAA-CREF CEO, John Biggs, April 18, 5-7 PM,
Wed., 240 E. 47th Street, at corner of 2nd Ave, near the UN.
Your participation and those of others you know is most
appreciated. Please let us know. Local contact is Paul Sheridan,
718-951-5359; sheridanpa at aol.com.
IF YOU SUPPORT OUR GOALS, EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO MONEY IN THE
TIAA-CREF PENSION FUND, PLEASE TAKE THREE MINUTES A WEEK TO LEND
YOUR VOICE--LITERALLY

We are continuing our battle to get the giant TIAA-CREF (TC)
higher education pension system to do "positive investing" with
a small portion of its socially responsible "Social Choice
Account" (SCA). It can mean up to $300 million going toward such
things as loans for low-income area housing and business
start-ups, and venture capital for companies championing a new
socially/environmentally responsible product. A number of
socially responsible funds are already doing what we suggest.
And a survey taken by T-C revealed that 81% of SCA participants
want this proactive, positive approach for the fund.

We had a successful effort in the 80s to start the SCA and this
time we have a long list of prominent group/individual
endorsers, and the media stories keep coming (Wall Street
Journal, L. A. Times, etc.).. If you want bi-weekly campaign
updates/phone call reminders, let us know
(njwollman at manchester.edu).

TO SHOW THEM OUR CONTINUED CONCERN, PLEASE TAKE THREE MINUTES A
WEEK TO LEND YOUR VOICE in support of the proposal for "Positive
Investing" for the Social Choice Account: (a) positive screening
looking for more socially responsible companies, such as those
with good labor practices (b) low-income area housing and
business startups, and (c) venture capital for companies
championing a new socially/environmentally responsible product.
Also, ask them to dramatically increase investment in low-income
housing in their TIAA Account, where they now do a token amount
out of $100 billion. AND, FINALLY, ASK THEM WHY THEY REFUSE TO
CONTACT THOSE IN THE SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE INVESTMENT FIELD WHO
HAVE VOLUNTEERED TO TALK TO THEM ON THIS ISSUE.

Call John Biggs, CEO, 1-800-TIA-CREF (842-2733), ext. 4280.; or
212-490-9000. You'll likely have to leave a message with his
secretary, but do ask for a response. And email Mr. Biggs, as
well, or instead of, if you can't make a
call:(WWW.TIAA-CREF.ORG, then click "Contact TIAA-CREF", then
"General Information") --more info:
http://ARES.manchester.edu/department/PeaceStudies/njw/disclaim.html--
please post this to appropriate listserves -- Thanks, Neil
Wollman, "Social Choice for Social Change: Campaign for a new
TIAA-CREF."