New Working Paper: Foundations Funding of Grass Roots Organizations

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Mar 12 21:24:28 CST 2001

Hello COMM-ORG.  Your editor/moderator here.  I am very pleased to announce
the availability of the first 2001 COMM-ORG Working paper:

Robert O. Bothwell, "Foundation Funding of Grassroots Organizations"

To get it, go to:

http://comm-org.utoledo.edu/papers.htm

I found it a very interesting paper, challenging to both foundations and to
grass-roots organizations.  I encourage everyone to take a look at it.  If
you can't read all of it, choose sections to read.  I also encourage people
to use COMM-ORG for discussing the paper and its implications for funders
and those who depend on them.

Robert O. Bothwell is the founding Director/President Emeritus/Senior
Fellow for the National Committee For Responsive Philanthropy, a 25-year
old organization dedicated to changing private philanthropy to be more
responsive to social justice and environmental organizations. He and the
National Committee have created a national movement of "alternatives" to
the United Way, which raise over $300 million annually from workplace
charity drives in the U.S. Government, over 40 state governments, and
hundreds of local governments and private businesses. They challenged
foundations to reevaluate their grant making in light of conservative
takeover of Congress/public policy, through research, publicity and
educational briefings. They Initiated first public examinations of
community foundations and their responsiveness to the disenfranchised, and
of corporate grant making to racial/ethnic populations. They expanded
disclosure of critical information by foundations and nonprofits to grant
seekers and the public. And they stimulated development of women's funds
nationwide.

Many, many thanks to Bob for contributing the paper.

Randy Stoecker
moderator/editor, COMM-ORG