new tactic?

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Mar 1 08:15:41 CST 2001

[ed:  apologies to those of you who have gotten multiple copies of this
already, like me.  I hope it's worth it for those of you who haven't seen
this yet.]

Joe Clarke <clarkejt at snip.net>

Have you all seen this yet?  Have a good day!  Louise

Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by submitting a word or phrase
which they will stitch onto your shoes, under the swoosh.  So
Jonah  Peretti filled out the form and sent them $50 to stitch "sweatshop"
onto his shoes.

Here's the responses he got... fun and games with Nike...

From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" nikeid_personalize at nike.com To: "'Jonah H.
Peretti'" peretti at media.mit.edu

Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000 Your NIKE iD order was cancelled
for one or more of the following reasons:

1) Your Personal iD contains another party's trademark or other
intellectual property

2) Your Personal iD contains the name of an athlete or team we do not have
the legal right to use 3) Your Personal iD was left blank.  Did you not
want any personalization? 4) Your Personal iD contains profanity or
inappropriate slang, and besides, your mother would slap us.

If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new personalization
please visit us again at www.nike.com

Thank you, NIKE iD

From: "Jonah H. Peretti" peretti at media.mit.edu To: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
nikeid_personalize at nike.com Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000

Greetings,

My order was canceled but my personal NIKE iD does not violate any of the
criteria outlined in your message.  The Personal iD on my custom ZOOM XC
USA running shoes was the word "sweatshop."

Sweatshop is not: 1) another's party's trademark, 2) the name of an
athlete, 3) blank, or 4) profanity.

I choose the iD because I wanted to remember the toil and labor of the
children that made my shoes. Could you please ship them to me immediately.

Thanks and Happy New Year, Jonah Peretti

From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" nikeid_personalize at nike.com To: "'Jonah H.
Peretti'"  peretti at media.mit.edu

Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000

Dear NIKE iD Customer, Your NIKE iD order was cancelled because the iD you
have chosen contains, as stated in the previous e-mail, "inappropriate
slang". If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new
personalization please visit us again at nike.com

Thank you, NIKE iD

From: "Jonah H. Peretti" peretti at media.mit.edu To: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
nikeid_personalize at nike.com Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000

Dear NIKE iD, Thank you for your quick response to my inquiry about my
custom ZOOM XC USA running shoes.  Although I commend you for your prompt
customer service, I disagree with the claim that my personal iD was
nappropriate slang.

After consulting Webster's Dictionary, I discovered

that "sweatshop" is in fact part of standard English, and not slang. The
word means: "a shop or factory in which workers are employed for long hours
at low wages and under unhealthy conditions"  and its origin dates from
1892.  So my personal iD does meet the criteria detailed in your first email.

Your web site advertises that the NIKE iD program is "about freedom to
choose and freedom to express who you are."  I share Nike's loveof freedom
and personal expression.  The site also says that "If you want it done
right...build it yourself."  I was thrilled to be able to build my own
shoes, and my personal iD was offered as a small token of appreciation for
the sweatshop workers poised to help me realize my vision. I hope that you
will value my freedom of expression and reconsider your decision to reject
my order.

Thank you, Jonah Peretti

From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" nikeid_personalize at nike.com To: "'Jonah H.
Peretti'" peretti at media.mit.edu Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000

Dear NIKE iD Customer,

Regarding the rules for personalization it also states on the NIKE iD web
site that "Nike reserves the right to cancel any personal iD up to 24 hours
after it has been submitted". In addition, it further explains:

"While we honor most personal iDs, we cannot honor every one. Some may be
(or contain) other's trademarks, or the names of certain professional
sports teams, athletes or celebrities that Nike does not have the right to
use. Others may contain material that we consider inappropriate or simply
do not want to place on our products.

Unfortunately, at times this obliges us to decline personal iDs that may
otherwise seem unobjectionable. In any event, we will let you know if we
decline your personal iD, and we will offer you the chance to submit
another." With these rules in mind, we cannot accept your  order as submitted.

If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new personalization
please visit us again at www.nike.com

Thank you, NIKE iD

From: "Jonah H. Peretti" peretti at media.mit.edu To: "Personalize, NIKE iD"
nikeid_personalize at nike.com Subject: RE: Your NIKE  iD order o16468000

Dear NIKE iD,

Thank you for the time and energy you have spent on my request. I have
decided to order the shoes with a different iD, but I would liketo make one
small request.  Could you please send me a color snapshot of the
ten-year-old Vietnamese girl who makes my shoes?

Thanks, Jonah Peretti

no response

As one forwarder writes:

... this will now go round the world much farther and faster than any of
the adverts they paid Michael Jordan more than the entire wage packet of
all their sweatshop workers in the world to do...

I normally avoid making a plea to pass on these things, but this time I say:

JUST DO IT

______________________________ Deirdre Gotto, Office Manager Sierra Club of
BC 576 Johnson St. Victoria, BC, V8W 1M3

tel: 250.386.5255

fax: 250.386.4453 web: www.sierraclub.ca/bc