U.S. economic development RFP and grant chasing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sat Jun 2 16:08:45 CDT 2001

[ed:  H.C. is responding to Doug's message about grant size, but also
discussing grant-chasing and its side-effects.]

From: "H. C. Covington" <icanamerica at email.msn.com>

  "Doug Hess" <DHess at frac.org> wrote:

>I'm not sure what EDA is, but the other three issue areas sound relevant.
>I wonder if there are other people out there with funding ideas or
>experiences with small government grants like this.

===============================

Dear Doug:

There are a fairly large number of us in nonprofit resource consulting who work
a majority of our time and effort developing Federal and State
Relationships and
Grant Proposals for small to medium sized NPOs accross the country.  Grant
project size is determined more on the size and capacity of the NPO applying
than the amount of money available so what may be a "small" grant to one agency
may be a "LARGE" amount to another.

Doug, as you know, there is an abundance of funding available for almost any
501(c)3 community based nonprofit with good accounting/reporting systems and a
strong and proactive Board of Directors.  At the Federal Level, there are some
27 distinct "Departments" with over 300 funding and program sources (500 to 700
with subcategories).  We maintain a fairly active database of funding sources
(over 7,000 at the current time) to be able to match nonprofits with appropiate
funders and programs of interest in an effort to build long lasting
relationships between the organizations.  Are there some specific areas or
ideas
where we can be of help in defining the issues or offering suggestions?

Establishing a long term funding pattern (Plan) of local, regional and national
sources allows each NPO to structure its income from grants, private and
corporate donations, foundation funding, capital fundraising, fee-for-service
funding and/or earned income funding so that the existing Vision and Mission of
the organization can be fulfilled.

In the past few years, many NPOs have changed or "lost" their mission to chase
the "current" funding stream at one level or another.  In the new millennium,
many of these organizations are finding themselves working harder to stay
afloat
as organizations themselves, rather than in providing more effective or
expanded
services they were set up for in the beginning.

In terms of current literature, they feel like _"Someone Moved My
Cheese"_  at a
time they had grown comfortable with the status quo. [see book by the same
name,
it is a good easy read about how "things" change and what can be done to
overcome the change.  The "Cheese" is FUNDING!]

How do you feel we can best be of help or offer suggestions at this time?

Sonny

H. C. Covington
Executive Director
I   C A N !  America