job: director

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Jul 30 23:12:01 CDT 2001

From: Renee DeLapp <renee at organizingcoop.org>
[ed:  this job post includes salary info.]

The Southern Organizing Cooperative, an alliance of 22 social
and economic  justice organizing groups across the
Southeastern United States, has an opening for a Director.
Salary $35-40K.  Details below.  For more information, contact
Renee DeLapp at 865-637-0056.  Thanks.

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
DIRECTOR
Southern Organizing Cooperative

The Southern Organizing Cooperative is a unique collaboration
of 22 grassroots organizations from across the southeastern
United States that use, or support, direct action organizing to
make social, economic and political change for the express
purpose of building and strengthening the theory and practice
of grassroots, community organizing in the South. Our
mission:  to collectively help to build diverse, creative,
strategic and effective grassroots organizing and shared
progressive values in order to win citizen power and social,
economic and political justice in our region.  Our goals: to
expand and improve individual organizing groups and
infrastructure, as well as to strengthen the theory and practice
of organizing.

To achieve these goals, we work to: overcome oppression and
barriers, particularly racism, and recognize the importance of
an inclusive process;  build supportive relationships and useful
exchanges among organizations and  with other partners and
allies needed to achieve these goals; develop our analysis,
vision and strategic thinking; raise money for grassroots
organizing, targeting specific foundations and the philanthropic
community  for support; raise the profile and understanding of
community organizing in  our communities and society; and
work at the local and state level to achieve strategic change
leading to regional and national impact.

Role of the Director

The role of the Director will be to work with the Southern
Organizing Cooperative leadership committees, workteams,
and member organizations to carry out the Co-op92s program
of work.  The Director is an essential facilitator, encouraging
and assisting the various individuals and groups toward shared
goals.  Cooperative member groups work together on various
member-driven initiatives and the Director will actively support
the development of those initiatives.  The Director will work at
the direction  of the Governing Body and will be supervised by
the Steering Committee.

Responsibilities of the Director

Staff the Governing Body, Steering Committee, and
Fundraising Committee. Coordinate the work of other
committees and workteams as they are  developed. Facilitate
communications among committees and the Governing Body,
supporters, contacts, allies. Facilitate cooperative
relationships among Southern organizations. Establish
cooperative relationships with national organizations.
Coordinate fundraising, including grantwriting, and relate to
foundations about grants received for the Co-op and its
projects; maintain  a grants schedule, write reports and
maintain all Co-op records. Hire, evaluate and develop staff (1
administrative assistant) as  well as coordinate work of
contracted service providers (i.e., event logistics planners,
bookkeeper, consultants, trainers).  Maintain personnel
records and settle grievances. Help draft and maintain Co-op
practices and procedures as needed. With Steering
Committee, develop and maintain organizational workplans.
Work with the Governing Body and staff to develop systems of
accountability  both fiscal and programmatic  and ensure that
they are honored. Maintain efficient administrative and fiscal
systems (including preparing and distributing agendas,
minutes and other materials to appropriate Co-op members,
coordinating and organizing meetings, conference  calls,
gatherings and other