query: what is CD

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jul 26 16:45:40 CDT 2001

[ed:  thanks to Janey for the further thoughts on "what is CD?"]

From: "Janey Skinner" <janeyskinner at mindspring.com>

A few more thoughts on what one thinks of with the words
"community development" --

This is what it evokes for me --

1.  A Canadian (or other person speaking English and not
living in the U.S.) talking about what I know as community
organizing and/or community building. For example, in Ron
Labonte's writing about community health, I don't see a large
difference between community development approaches and
community organizing approaches.

2.  Economic development, including housing, small
businesses, cooperatives, job development, management of
(or TA to) projects under block grants, etc.

3.  A nonprofit that employs professionals with relevant skills
(e.g., planners, developers) and also serves as a forum for
community involvement in development decisions.

4.  Sometimes an entity that has overprofessionalized and is
removed from the pulse of the community, or caters to the
needs of only one segment of the community.  Generally,
though, that's not what I think of when I hear the term
"community development."

Janey Skinner