West Philly community data

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Jul 22 16:12:01 CDT 2001

[ed:  this messages continues our community information
theme today.  The site below is linked from the COMM-ORG
"Data and Archives" page.]

From: Joann Weeks <weeks at pobox.upenn.edu>

The Center for Community Partnerships at the University of
Pennsylvania is very pleased to announce the formal unveiling
of a community information website, InfoR (Information
Resources-West Philadelphia).

Professor Sidney Wong is the lead faculty member from City
Planning Dept. His press release is below.

InfoR is a repository of public data sets, data developed on
West Philadelphia by Penn faculty and students, data
developed by the community and our projects with the
community.    It includes participation by numerous faculty
from across many of Penn's schools, the Penn Van Pelt
library staff and community partners.  Development of on InfoR
has been funded in large part by grants to the Center for
Community Partnerships from HUD's Office of University
Partnerships and the WK Kellogg Foundation.

We hope that this will become a major tool for Penn and our
community partners to use in their plannning activities.  We,
of course, are working with community partners in how to use
the site for their needs.

Congratulations to Sidney Wong and his dedicated team.

Joann Weeks
Associate Director
Center for Community Partnerships

INFORESOURCES WEST PHILADELPHIA (INFOR) OPEN
FOR PUBLIC USE
July 16, 2001

Please Circulate and
Apology for Multiple Postings

The InfoResources (InfoR) project team at the University of
Pennsylvania is happy to announce that our web site is open
for public use at http://westphillydata.library.upenn.edu.

Modeling on leading community information networks (CIN)
across the U.S., InfoR provides information for West
Philadelphia neighborhood communities. It furnishes users
with maps, socioeconomic data tables, and downloadable
resource guides for grant writing, project development, and
community empowerment purposes. Its web links enable
users to better connect with West Philadelphia's community-
based organizations and institutions.

InfoR is a data partnership project and serves as a central
location to acquire information by zip code, census tract and
neighborhood. It also serves users to better implement their
community and economic development projects, housing
studies, and policy research.

InfoR was developed collaboratively with representatives of
West Philadelphia community-based organizations, Penn's
Department of City and Regional Planning, Center for
Community Partnerships, HUD's Community Outreach
Partnership Center, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, Van Pelt
Library, Penn's Cartographic Modeling Lab, Wharton GIS Lab,
and the West Philadelphia Partnership.

InfoR will be updated frequently as new information, such as
2000 Census data and regional economic dataset, is
available. It will expand its data services in accordance to
users’ needs. Please visit and bookmark our web site
(http://westphillydata.library.upenn.edu). You comment is
crucial to InfoR’s future development.

We will establish a listserv so that InfoR users and partners
can share information. We also welcome users to incorporate
our URL link in their web pages or send us any community
information and data.

PS - It is best to use IE Browser to read InfoR but we are
almost making it equally compatible in Netscape.

Contact:
Sidney Wong
Project Director, InfoR

******************************