jobs: community-based academics

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sat Jul 7 22:44:24 CDT 2001

From: david croteau <dcroteau at mail1.vcu.edu>

FYI, 	My sociology/anthropology department is hiring for two
tenure-track positions this year.  We're looking, especially, for
people who do collaborative community-based work
(participatory action research, etc) and who generate external
funding.  The two (broad) areas are (1) urban/community
studies and (2) urban health/inequality.  See details below,
including URL's for university/department web sites.

Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). The Department of
Sociology and Anthropology invites applicants for two tenure-
track positions at the beginning or advanced Assistant
Professor level. We are seeking applicants who will conduct
externally funded research, contribute to the department's
graduate program, and teach undergraduate courses. We are
especially interested in researchers who do
collaborative/participatory work with community agencies and
organizations. Candidates must have a PhD in sociology or
anthropology. Candidates for the first position must have a
focus on urban sociology/anthropology and/or community
studies. Candidates for the second position must have a focus
on health, especially in relation to family well-being, urban
health issues, and inequality. VCU is an urban university with
a diverse student body. The department operates a masters-
level graduate program that features a focus on urban social
problems and urban social change that emphasizes bridging
basic and applied research and includes a practicum
highlighting participatory action research. Opportunities also
exist for building connections with a public policy PhD
program and doctoral programs on VCU's medical campus,
the Medical College of Virginia. The positions are nine-month
appointments with a usual teaching load of three courses a
semester. Salary is dependent upon qualifications and
professional experience. Information about the Virginia
Commonwealth University (www.vcu.edu) and the Department
of Sociology and Anthropology (www.has.vcu.edu/soc/) may
be found on the Internet. Candidates should submit: (1) a
letter outlining their qualifications for this position, especially
their research agenda and history of external funding; (2) a
curriculum vitae; (3) evidence of teaching effectiveness (i.e.,
course syllabi, student evaluations, and handouts); and (4)
three letters of recommendation to:

Search Committee Chair, Department of Sociology and
Anthropology, P.O. Box 842040, Virginia Commonwealth
University, Richmond, VA 23284-2040.

Review of applications will begin after December 1, 2001.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities,
and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
 | **Please note new email address:
dcroteau at mail1.vcu.edu**

David Croteau | Associate Professor | Sociology &