Chicago Americorp Volunteers receive $9,300 for community service projects

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu Jul 5 22:14:49 CDT 2001

From: Brian Banks <bbanks3 at wpo.it.luc.edu>

We are starting to solicit volunteers for the Chicago Illinois
Workforce Advantage-Policy Research Action Group
Americorps Project.

For more info contact Gabriela Roman, NNNN, 773 489-0383
(gabriela at nnnn.org), in Humboldt Park  or Josephine
Robinson, Mary McDowell Settlement House, 773 376-5242
(mcdowellms at aol.com), in Englewood. As soon as I get a
contact name for North Lawndale I'll send that to you.

>If you have any candidates you think might be interesting,
>please forward their names and contact info directly to the
>above mentioned contact persons. This project will select a a
>mix of community volunteers and students.

Each full time volunteer will recieve a $9,300 living allowance,
health insurance, child care and $4,700 for school after
completing 1700 hours for community service. > > The Policy
Research Action Group (PRAG) has been awarded a state
grant to administer the Americorp project in three Chicago
neighborhoods. This will be done in cooperation with the
almost 300 community-based organizations working with the
Illinois Workforce Advantage Project and our member
universities (DePaul, Chicago State, University of Illinois at
Chicago and Loyola).

We are especially interested in finding volunteers that live in
the communities that this project will serve Humbolt Park,
North Lawndale, and Englewood. > >Illinois Workforce
Advantage (IWA) coordinates state resources, in
>economically disadvantaged >communities to help residents
improve their quality of life through a >variety of strategies,
including: >building social capital, reducing the
social/economic isolation; and >identifying community assets.
>IWA targets seven communities across the state, including
Humboldt Park, >North Lawndale and >Englewood, in
Chicago. IWA will be using PRAG's university community
collaborative model to  help build neighborhood-level capacity.
> >The proposed Americorp/Chicago IWA/PRAG collaboration
will: > > Beginning in the fall, 2001 fund PRAG to support 33 >
students/community volunteers per >      year, for three years,
to work with 30 community-based organizations > on a variety
of > projects, including developing jobs for ex-offenders;
tutoring K-12 > students; and other >      community service
projects. >      Deliver over 56,000 hours of high quality
community service. >      Provide to volunteers who complete
1700 hours of > community service a $4700 grant to further
their education. This is in addition to a > $9,300 living
allowance, > healthcare and childcare benefits. >      Increase
the capacity of community-based organizations and schools,
> in target communities >      to improve the quality of life of
neighborhood residents. >      Generate a database of
neighborhood-level information for > policymakers,
researchers, > community leaders and activists. >
Increase the visibility of Loyola, DePaul, Chicago State, and
UIC > among state, local and >      national elected officials,
foundations, community leaders, > prospective students and
others. >     Connect and help disadvantaged neighborhoods
have more voice in > regional growth, >      workforce
development, gentrification, affordable housing and other >
policy discussions. >      Create an opportunity for a wider
multiple neighborhood, multiple > university collaboration. >
 Increase the pool of those interested in community service
careers > by providing connections >      to prospective
employers. >      Increase the diversity of university student's,
through outreach > efforts and providing resources >      to
attend college.

To correct a problem  is to make a change, to make change is
not always to fix a problem

Collectivism assumes that individual effort is a reflection and
instrument of communal and collective survival and
advancement.

Cooperation assumes that the optimal way of functioning is
with mutual respect and encouragement.

Brian L. Banks
Policy Research Action Group
PRAG