gentrification and globalization organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Apr 24 16:13:15 CDT 2000

[ed:  Larry has some interesting ideas, as well as a request for information,
on linking organizing around globalization with organizing around
gentrification and displacement.]

From: "Larry McNeely" <larry_mcneely at hotmail.com>

(This idea is long term, implementable next year or afterwards.  It should not
detract from organizing around the NYC Mayday solidarity march for
undocumented workers or from the conventions this summer)

I am looking for a way that the Mobilization around globalization can link
directly to the issue of gentrification and callous displacement of residents in
our cities.  (Many of us missed the anti-gentrification march in DC, due to
arrest)

Who out there is working on housing issues in a way that really involves the
disenfranchised?  WHAT ARE YOU DOING?  WHY DONT WE SHARE IT
ON THIS LIST SERV?

Is there some national coordination, that is willing to reach out and mobilize
large numbers?

Could a partnership with DC and Seattle activists provide an opportunity to
unite the variety of place-based activism around housing displacement
issues into a single multi-site national mobilization?

A TENTATIVE SUGGESTION

One big march in a major city, maybe next year. Local events around the
country. Leadership involving established displacement activists. Maybe our
message could include living wage to get union involvement, and
environmental racism to draw the students and environmentalists.

I like the fact that the new globalization coaltion can do direct action....but
maybe a permitted march on Washington might be more appropriate for
people of color and low income folks.

My name is Larry McNeely.  I was in DC A15, got arrested, and could not
make it to the gentrification march.  I organized students from West Virginia
University to come to the IMF protest, but I also have worked organizing the
homeless around housing issues in St. Paul Minnesota.