query: arts organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Apr 18 09:30:41 CDT 2000

[ed:  here is an A16 story as well as a response to Daniel's query.]

From: Thomas Waters <twaters at panix.com>

At 11:54 AM 4/12/00 -0400, Daniel McCarthy <Dan at ehc.ang-md.org> wrote:

 >I am working in an impacted community in west Baltimore that is interested
 >in using the arts as an organizing tool...

 >I am looking for models from other communities of arts centers...

While down in Washington to dump the fund, I went to an absolutely great
performance coming from a project called Sol y Soul, which brought together
young artists from DC, the Bronx, and Texas. I don't know much about the
approach the organizers of this project used, but it resulted in a
performance of high political consciousness and great esthetic value. You
all missed out if you didn't see it.

Here is the email that got me to go: