IMF in DC begins

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Apr 18 09:24:54 CDT 2000

[ed:  thanks to John and Jean-Robert for news from and about A16.]

From: "John M. Beam" <beam1 at ix.netcom.com>

I spoke by phone today with a colleague in D.C. who was on her way out
the door about 1:00 because government offices were being shut down
"because of the protests."  Let's see if that makes tomorrow's news.

John Beam

[ed:  this did make it to our local paper, but I don't know if it made it
to others.]

***************************

From: "Jean-Robert Primeau" <jrprim at microtec.net>

Hi Randy and all !

I just read in a French newspaper (Le Nouvel
Observateur--http://quotidien.nouvelobs.com/etranger/20000417.FAP6736.html
) that "from La Havane [Havana], where it's first summit just concluded,
the G-77, pressure group at the UN, founded in 1964, and now composed of
133 nations of the South, adressed a message to the "rich" of Wahington.
The G-77 'brings it's full support and solidarity to the anti-globalization
demonstrators', declared nigerian ambassador Arthur Mbanefo, whose country
chaired the gathering." [my translation]

If the demonstrators did'nt succeed in blocking the IMF and World Bank
meetings, they will have given much leverage to poor nations. Also, the
same article informs that France, Brazil and Thaïland finance ministers
were blocked for a certain time by the demonstrations.

Non-violent strategy and tactics seem the way to go to destabilize abusive
powers and inform the masses, even if police tactics (coordination center
closed down, violations of civil rights, preventive arrests, etc...) gave a
blow to the organization.

Jean-Robert Primeau co
Montréal, Québec
jrprim at microtec.net