IMF in DC begins

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Apr 17 13:07:38 CDT 2000

Hi COMM-ORG.  Here is an update on the A16 events.  I am doing a bit less
than I was for Seattle as the corporate media has been much better at
covering police (mis)conduct this time around and Indymedia has become an
institution unto itself.  Nonetheless, there are a couple of things worthy
of noting/repeating.

1.  In contrast with the characterization of protestors as a bunch of
college students with too much time on their hands, the Black Farmers and
Agriculturalists Association notes how their participation was
ignored.  See http://www.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=747 To get a
probably pretty complete list of everyone involved, go to http://www.a16.org/

2.  The National Guard is now backing up D.C. police in D.C., reported both
by CNN and on Indymedia.  Arrests yesterday were amazingly low, only about
20 or so, after the police arrested 600 plus and closed the protest
headquarters on Saturday.  And I read somewhere in Indymedia that many of
those arrested paid their $50 fine and got out in time for Sunday's events
and local churches opened up space for protestors to plan.  But this
morning things appeared to be getting tense.

Randy