query: gentrification

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Sun Apr 16 21:56:07 CDT 2000

[ed:  thanks to Larry for responding to Lisa's gentrification query.]

From: Larry Yates <lyates at chej.org>

Lisa

You've identified one of the toughest parts of dealing with
gentrification -- tracking what actually happens to individuals. It's
very hard to get beyond anecdotes and glimpses, even when you are right
there in the neighborhood watching it happen.

One person who tried to track a fairly large population of gentrified
people was Rob Wiener, Director of the CA Coalition for Rural
Housing/Project. Rob was working with folks displaced from rural housing
subsidy programs in California, and for his Ph.D. dissertation, I
believe, made the most ambitious effort to track each and every one
displaced that I know of. I think he can be reached at the Project:
      Rob Weiner, Director
      926 J Street, Suite 422
      Sacramento, CA 95814
      916-443-4448/phone
      916-447-0458/fax
      e-mail HN0006 at handsnet.org

(Rob was dealing with a specific subset of gentrification, the
displacement of people in subsidized housing as it is converted.)

As I have mentioned before, there was a very large body of writing on
gentrification in the late 70s and the early-mid 80s. Less since then,
it seems to me, for a variety of reasons. Chester Hartman, now head of
the Poverty and Race Research Action Center, was at the center of a lot
of the best writing on the subject.

Another direction to go in looking for the actual people at the sharp
end of gentrification would be to look at the stories of folks in
homeless shelters and programs. Conversion of SRO hotels to other
trendier uses is clearly gentrification. But of course most folks double
up or find some interim unsatisfactory solution, often invisible and
quasi-legal.

Larry Yates
(formerly Director, Anti-Displacement Project, Nat'l Low Income Housing
Coalition)
--
Larry Yates
Organizer
lyates at chej.org
For information on PCBs, go to
http://www.ipen.org/pcb_workinggroup.htm
The Center for Health, Environment and Justice was founded in 1981 by
Lois Marie Gibbs, leader of the Love Canal effort. CHEJ assists local
people to become empowered to protect their communities from
environmental threats. We are supported in part by our membership. If
you are interested in joining or contributing to CHEJ, membership dues
are $30 per year. You'll receive our quarterly magazine, Everyone's
Backyard.