Randy reports on Australia

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Wed Apr 12 15:53:30 CDT 2000

Hi COMM-ORG.  A couple of people asked if I could report on what I was
doing in Australia.  Part of what I was doing seems relevant to the
list so I will indulge myself a little bit.  One reason for the trip
was as a keynote speaker for a conference in Western Australia looking
at community development and the Internet
(http://www.casoc2000.com.au/, you can even see me in streaming video
at http://www.computertelevision.com.au/casoc/speakers/).

I was also in Australia (mainly around Melbourne and Perth) doing work
for the early stages of what will hopefully become an action research
project with community organizing and development folks in Australia
and Canada, motivated by my friend Dave Beckwith of the Washington
D.C. Center for Community Change.  We are in the process of
identifying people who might be interested in connecting with each
other across Canada, Australia and the U.S. to learn from each other
and advance the practice of community organizing from the ground up.
This will be a very decentralized project, led by people on the ground
in each country, and thinking about ways we can connect with each
other.

The initial reasons for looking at Australia, Canada, and the U.S. are
that all three nations have similar histories as British frontier
colonies, and Canada and Australia have been going through government
devolution that parallels what began in the U.S. about a decade
earlier.  In addition, that is where Dave's and my connections are
strongest.  But starting with these three countries doesn't have to
mean limiting it to them.

In any event, we are in just the very early stages of thinking about
this and are beginning to develop some relationships with people.  If
any of you are interested in more information about this, please
contact either me or Dave Beckwith <beckwithd at commchange.org>.

Randy Stoecker
moderator/editor
COMM-ORG