job: organizer

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Fri Apr 7 17:07:06 CDT 2000

[ed:  this job post includes salary info.]

From:  Dennis Brunn  dbrunn at erols.com

The Community Building Support Initiative (CBSI), a program of the
Affordable Housing Network of New Jersey providing training,
technical
assistance, and funding for community organizing sponsored by
community
development corporations,  is announcing a job opening with one of its
affiliates.

The East Trenton Community Council,  initiated by the Trenton Area
Habitat for Humanity in 1998,  is looking for a full time neighborhood
organizer to assist their emerging grass roots organization to grow
and
win improvements specifically in crime/safety,  environmental issues,
and youth opportunities.  A major focus of the position is direct
action
organizing of youth to involve them in the overall community
development
process.  This low-income community has identified organizing issues
of
inadequate housing,  potential demolition of 40 homes (determined by
City to be in an indefensible flood plain),  serious crime problems,
and totally inadequate opportunities for youth.  This organizer would
join a team composed of a lead organizer and would report to both a
community leadership team a Habitat-Community steering committee.

Experience as an organizer in low- or moderate income communities,
commitment to youth participation,  and willingness to participate in
CBSI organizer training and project evaluation, are required.  Spanish
fluency and prior training on action-oriented organizing are an
advantage.

Salary and benefits are modest (mid-20s) but dependable. Opportunities
for creative beginning organizer,  both on-site and through our CBSI
training,  and through our participation in our Network and the
National
Training and Information Center,  to build power and see change,  and
grow as an organizer,  are great.

Send resume with three references (include phone numbers) to Dennis
Brunn,  CBSI,  Affordable Housing Network,  PO Box 1746,  1 W. State
Street,  Trenton, NJ 08607.