action: great gas-out

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Tue Apr 4 22:27:53 CDT 2000

[ed:  thanks to Steven, Dave, and James, for their discussion of the great
gas out.]

From: "Steven Shapiro" <sms1 at gwbmail.wustl.edu>

I have been receiving the gas-out call to action on a regular basis for the
past month or so and have developed a message I send to whomever forwards
it to me.  It is attached below.

On a side note, I think it may be worth discussing the use of the Internet
as an organizing, political change and advocacy tool (I believe that this
topic came up last time the gas-out was suggested).  In my opinion, the
Internet has not yet come into its own as an effective tool for bringing
about social or political change.  I say this for the following reasons:

1.  Technology divide.  Computers/Internet access have yet to overcome the
economic barriers to allow for self-advocacy among many groups of oppressed
people.

2.  Information Overload.  There is a lot of useless and/or incorrect
information floating about.  I have not seen a truly effective means of
sorting through the garbage other than a healthy dose of cynicism and a
quick finger on the delete key.

3.  Ease of Action.  I wonder if perhaps it is too easy to forward a
message to one's entire address book.  I honestly believe that if people
sat down and thought for a couple minutes about the things they forward,
number 2 would be less of a problem.  While it is most certainly more
difficult to gather a group of people to discuss an issue you feel is
important, doing so is also a more healthy process.

That said, I think that the ability for the rest of the world to follow the
recent WTO situation highlights one of the more positive uses of the
Internet for coordinated civil action.  Comments?

The idea behind the "gas out" is flawed for several reasons outlined below.
Please read this message and reconsider your approach to dealing with
rising gasoline prices.

1. People who fill up their tanks before the gas out in order to prepare
for the "strike" are purchasing the same amount of gas at the high prices,
just on a different day. Were this type of action to actually influence
prices via the supply/demand curve, than massive numbers of people
purchasing gas prior to the gas out would cause prices to rise by
increasing the demand.

2. Similarly, even if prices were to fall during the three day action,
people holding off and purchasing gas after the gas out would cause a spike
in demand, leading to increased prices once again.

3. That said, the supply/demand relationship is multidimensional. There are
many additional factors that influence the price of gasoline (political,
social, environmental and economic). These factors will continue to
influence the price of gasoline long after the gas out is forgotten.

4. Even with the rise in price, people in the United States pay
significantly less for gasoline than residents of almost every other
country in the world. Some people believe that in fact, individual drivers
actually pay less than the "full cost" of driving their cars. Either way,
it is important for us to recognize the external costs of driving such as
road maintenance, pollution, noise and materials, as well as the social
implications of long commutes to work.

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION:
What if we consider ways of decreasing consumption rather than decreasing
prices. Rather than purchasing the same amount of gas on different days as
the gas out suggests, try carpooling with someone to school or work for
those three days and truly decreasing demand for gasoline. Consider taking
public transportation, walking, or riding a bike when feasable rather than
driving an individual car. Looking for ways to minimize our overall
consumption of gasoline will ALSO minimize the amount we spend.

Steve

From: CHELFERT at aol.com