action: great gas-out

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Apr 3 22:41:32 CDT 2000

[ed:  many of you heard about the great gas-out last year.  here it is
again.  I will have some thoughts below.]

From: Allison  Voedisch <alvoedisch at excite.com>

Dear Friends,

I am passing on this e-mail as it seems a good idea, gas prices are getting
out of hand.  Even if it doesn't bring down prices, at least we'll practice
some energy conservation!

Allison

Last year on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged across Canada and the U.S.
to bring the price of gas down, and it worked. It's time to do something
about it again. Only this time lets make it for three days instead of just
one.

The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to drive up gasoline
prices.
Lets see how many Canadian and American people we can get to band together
for a three day period in April, NOT TO BUY ANY GASOLINE, during those three
days.

LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from APRIL 7, 2000, through
APRIL 9, 2000. Buy what you need before the dates listed above, or after,
but try not to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help, just send
this to everyone you know and ask them to do the same. We brought the prices
down once before, and we can do it again.

Come on North America lets stand together. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!  Even
if you receive this 100 times keep passing it around, this way you know
everyone is being informed and no one will forget!

******

[ed:  in the interest of keeping COMM-ORG censorship-free, I am posting
this call to action.  Also, as a list participant, I would like to offer a
brief critique of this campaign and invite others to respond, either pro or
con.  To me, this is both problematic strategy and a problematic
issue.  From what I have seen of the gas-out again this year, it is
primarily organized through the Internet, and thus unlikely to be any more
successful than last year.  Or at least I hope it will not be successful,
as the goals seem to be to blame non-North Americans (i.e. people with
darker skin) for higher gas prices, and to promote lower gas prices so
North Americans can continue to consume far more than their fair share of
the world's oil resources. Again, all other thoughts welcome.]