Rosa Parks and organizing

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Apr 3 21:41:57 CDT 2000

[ed:  thanks to Amy for more contribution to the Rosa Parks discussion.]

From: Amy Hubbard <ahubbard at rmc.edu>

The Washington Post did an update on the women who were arrested before
Rosa Parks became the test case. It was an excellent article and the cite
is below. You can retrieve it from the Washington Post archives
(www.washingtonpost.com) for a small fee charged to a credit card over the
web. THE LADIES BEFORE ROSA; THEY TOO WOULDN'T GIVE UP THEIR SEATS. LET US
NOW PRAISE UNFAMOUS WOMEN. PAUL HENDRICKSON WASHINGTON POST STAFF WRITER
Sunday, April 12, 1998 ; Page F01 Section: Style Word Count: 5437 Another
important thing about this case is how resources and social networks become
obscured by the mythologizing of the media and the development of movement
legends. (As you know Randy)Sociologists had a lot of theories prior to the
60s about why people got involved in social movements (relative
deprivation, neurotic need, being "swept up" by magical, powerful beliefs)
that involved psychological changes and generally disregarded the level of
community organization in place. Not that that isn't important in many
ways, but once sociologists found themselves actually INVOLVED in the
movements of the 60s, it became apparent to some folks (as it would to any
good organizer) that social networks and resources were critical in
mobilizing people into social movements. Some folks in that school of
thought (the resource mobilization school) have even argued that
psychological grievances are even less important than resources and social
networks in mobilizing people. I see a lot of truth in this in my own life
and in the movements I've observed and participated in. (I just did support
work for my husband who got arrested at the Supreme Court protesting the
imprisonment of Mumia Abu Jamal because a friend of ours in peace studies
had originally asked us to host a meeting for the organizers of the civil
disobedience. While we shared the views of the organizers, we wouldn't have
gotten involved without a friend calling us about it.) Nevertheless, a lot
of my students still believe that they don't get involved in social
movements because they just "don't care enough." The mythology around Rosa
Parks (and other movement icons) reinforces a sort of powerless because
people often assume that the real issue is "caring enough" or being the
right kind of person (a movement saint who will sacrifice anything to do
the right thing). The fact is that Rosa Parks was someone who cared and
sacrificed but she is remembered today NOT because of that but because the
local activists in Montgomery were looking for a test case and she was an
upstanding pillar of the community, whereas the previous women were not.
The bus boycott didn't just emerge out of nothing -- there were
organizations and activists already in place. Rosa Parks, as others have
already noted, didn't just decide not to give her seat up one day. She had
been through lots of training and organizing experience already. And it
could have also been someone other than Rosa Parks who is remembered for
starting it.

Amy Hubbard
Dept. of Sociology
Randolph-Macon College