Welcome to the COMM-ORG Papers Collection
Papers by practitioners, students, scholars, and others
Editor: Randy Stoecker
|2012, Volume 18|
- Drick Boyd, Under the Radar: Popular Education in North America
A White Paper
- Marcela Salas Cassani; Radio Regeneracion, Reports from Planet Earth: Anti-Systemic Movements 2011
- Jessica R. Dreistadt, Interfaith Social Justice Coalitions and The Faith at Work Movement
- Jessica R. Dreistadt, Transforming Organizations and Communities through Appreciative Inquiry
- Rabbi Moshe ben Asher, Organizing Participants Using Flyers and One-to-Ones
|2011, Volume 17|
- Marie Kennedy, Chris Tilly, and Mercedes Arce, Participatory planning in a rural Mexican village: Lessons for community development and planning education
- Radwa Manssy Kandil, Public Participation in Egypt: A Case Study in the Education Field
- Alicia McDermott, Linh Phan, Maritza Queeley, and Claire Ryan, Community-Based Education: The Effects of TCCBE and U-links Projects on Host Organizations and Communities
- Peter Miller, Carl Davidson: From SDS and The Guardian, to cyRev and CyberRadicalism for the 21st Century
- Rebecca Paradiso and Kate MacCrimmon, So What's This Research Stuff All About?
- Margot Smith, Organizing Seniors for Action: a Practical Guide.
|2010, Volume 16|
- Moshe ben Asher, Staff Development and Leadership
- Dave Beck, Women Leading The Change: Community Leadership and Social Change in North East Delhi
- Dave Beckwith, Community Organizing in Europe: A Travel Blog
- Christine McKenzie, Promoting Holistic Community Organizing: FoodShare Food Activist Workshop Series
- Janna Moseley, Online Organizing at ACORN
- Rosemary Ndubuizu, Non-profit over People: Have Organizers Stalled the Advancement of Social Justice?
- Ellen Ryan, Whatever Happened to Community Organizing?
- Patricia N. Van Pelt-Watkins, Does Theory Matter in Social Movement Practice in the Midwest? A Descriptive Study
- Larry Yates, The God that Worked
|2009, Volume 15|
- Lukas Bischof, Community Organizing as an Instrument of Change Management
- Quilen Diedre Blackwell, Holding Corporate America’s Feet to the Fire: The Industrial Areas Foundation’s Collision Course with Kodak
- Linda M. Bosma, Traci L. Toomey, Christine Matter, Sherry Timmermann Goodpaster, and Lindsey E. A. Fabian, A Case Study of Community Organizing in a Large Metropolitan Area: Changing Alcohol Policies at Community Festivals
- Peter Dreier, Organizing in the Obama Years: A Progressive Moment or a New Progressive Era?
- Joyce Mandell, CDCs and the Myth of the Organizing-Development Dialectic
- Mike Miller, A Critique of John McKnight & John Kretzmann's "Community Organizing in the Eighties: Toward a Post-Alinsky Agenda"
- Zeik Saidman, A Tribute to Saul David Alinsky
|2008, Volume 14|
- Keith Bartholomew and Mira Locher, People and Place: Humanities-based Pedagogy in Architecture and Planning
- Don Elmer, Reflection on the Community Values Presidential Forum
- Colleen Everett, Making Change in Communities Today: Review of We Make Change by Kristin Layng Szakos and Joe Szakos
- Eva Gold, Kristine Lewis, Gretchen Suess, Cheryl Jones-Walker, and Sonia Rosen, Writing to be Heard. This is a collection of papers by youth researchers doing school organizing.
- William Crosby, Antonia George, Ashley Hatch, Rahdia Robinson, & Terrese Thomas, Building Respectful Communities: Kensington Students Examine Adult-Student Relationships in their New Small Schools
- Rasheeda Enoch and Gerardo ZuviriWhat Olney Teachers say about their Students and School
- Tiffany Fogle and Lawrence Jones, Parents Speak Up and Out about Parents' Participation in Urban Public High Schools
- Ginger Moored, Intergenerational Collaboration at Appalshop
- Ann Russo & Melissa Spatz, Communities Engaged in Resisting Violence
- C. Ken Shannon, A Community Development Approach to Rural Recruitment
- Rhonda A. Waskiewicz, Vera Walline, and Matthew Bain, Exploring Area Health Education Centers’ Role in Assisting with CME Opportunities for Rural Physicians in Northeast Pennsylvania: A Community-Based Research Project
- Justin Whelan, Advocacy Evaluation: Review and Opportunities
|2007, Volume 13|
- Jim Frabutt Mary H. Kendrick, Emily R. Cabaniss, Stephanie M. Horton, and Margaret B. Arbuckle, Collaborative Efforts to Address Minority Overrepresentation in Juvenile Justice: A Community-Based Mini-Grant Process
- Cheryl Honey, Community Weaving: Creative Solution for a New Century
- Valerie Miller, Lisa VeneKlasen, Molly Reilly and Cindy Clark, Concepts for Revisioning Power for Justice, Equality and Peace
- Molly Reilly and Akanksha Marphatia, Forging a Global Movement: New Education Rights Strategies for the US and the World
- Andrea Robles and Julie Whitaker, with Louise (Mankowski) Randall, Donna Tompkins, Joan Vroman, Vicki Walejko Margaret Bau, Participatory Research at Cooperative Care: Supporting Caregivers and Building a Unified Cooperative
- Andrea Robles, Jodi Wortsman, and Ariel Kaufman, Housing and Community in South Madison: Local Residents’ Viewpoints and Experiences
- Randy Stoecker, CBR and the Two Forms of Social Change
- James Whelan, Six Reasons Not to Engage: Compromise, Confrontation and the Commons
|2006, Volume 12|
- Cheryl Honey, Community Organizing: Past, Present, and Future
- Deborah Lynn Marois, Beyond Polarities: Collaboration and Conflict in Community Health Partnerships
- Terri McNichol, Getting Started: Involving Your Community in Exhibit Development
- Benjamin Shepard, Four Narratives of Anti-Poverty Community Mobilization: Housing Works, FIERCE, the New York City AIDS Housing Network Human Rights Watch, and the More Gardens! Coalition
- Amanda Tattersall, There is Power in Coalition: A Framework for Analysing the Practice of Union-Community Coalitions
- Malik Watkins, Community and Faith-based Organizations’ Influence on Volunteer Participation: Social Movement Implications for Planning
- James Whelan, Community Engagement: Practical Strategies for Empowerment or a Wishful Narrative?
- Lisa VeneKlasen and Darshana Patel, Citizen Action, Knowledge and Global Economic Power: Intersections of Popular Education, Organizing, and Advocacy
- Lisa VeneKlasen, Strategic Opportunity or Black Hole? Assessing Policy Spaces to Advance Women's Rights
- Book Reviews
- Dave Beckwith, review of Worldview Skills: Transforming Conflict from the Inside Ou. by Jessie Sutherland
- Jeff Pinzino, review of Learning Power: Organizing for Education and Justice by Jeannie Oakes & John Rogers with Martin Lipton
- Bill Pitkin, review of Making a Better World: Public Housing, the Red Scare, and the Direction of Modern Los Angeles
by Don Parson
|2005, Volume 11|
- David Chavis, Building Community Capacity: An Initial Inventory of Local Intermediary Organizations.
- Rev. Paul Cromwell, The American Community Organizing Tradition And Its Potential Application To The German Protestant Church and European Context.
- Henry R. Cunningham and Bernard J. Strenecky, Should Service-Learning Sites be Selected on Need Alone?
- Peter Dreier, ACORN And Progressive Politics in America
- Neenah Estrella-Luna, review of: This is the City: Making Model Citizens in Los Angeles. by Ronald J. Schmidt Jr.
- Norman J. Glickman and Corianne P. Scally, Can Community and Education Organizing Improve Inner-City Schools?
- Sokoni Karanja & Sandy O'Donnell, Partnerships Between Community Organizing and Policy Advocates: Some Observations and Thoughts for the Woods Fund and Its Grantees
- Andrew Mott, Strengthening Social Change Through Organizational Learning and Evaluation.
- Sandy O'Donnell, Jane Beckett, and Jean Rudd, Promising Practices in Revenue Generation for Community Organizing.
- Jannit Rabinovitch, Transforming Community Practice: [Re]Moving the Margins
- Joan M. Roberts, A Six-Step Development Framework to Build Successful Alliances, Coalitions and Partnerships
- Joe Szakos, A Collective Recruitment Plan is Needed for Community Organizers. Also see the discussion on this paper.
|2004, Volume 10|
- Katharine Kravetz, Undergraduates and Community-Based Research: Benefits, Challenges and Opportunities.
- Rabbi Moshe ben Asher, The Price of Social Development: Precursors to a Strategic Vision for Faith-Based Community Organizing.
- Margo Menconi, Bringing Evaluation to the Grassroots: Insights Gleaned from Studying the Mobilization for Global Justice.
- David Scheie and Nan Kari, What's Faith Got to Do with It? Early Insights on Faith-Based Civic Engagement from the Organized Religion Evaluation Initiative.
- Anne B. Shlay and Gordon Whitman, Research for Democracy: Linking Community Organizing and Research to Leverage Blight Policy. Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Tara Thomas, Needs Assessment And Arm Chair Evaluation of Community Action Network
- Barri E. Tinkler, Establishing A Conceptual Model Of Community-Based Research Through Contrasting Case Studies.
- Lindsey P. Walker-Estrada, The Education and Liberation of the Poor in Community Organizing: The Personal Growth and Transformation of Leaders in the Anti-Displacement Project.
- Jose Wilson and Brian Banks, Chicagoland Youth and Adult Training Center: Building Strong Relationships Between Faith-Based Organizations, Government and Corporations to Transform Low-Income Communities
- Xi Zhang, Comparison between American and Chinese Community Building
- Sam Yoon, Bill Traynor, and Nancy Marks (eds), Journal of Community Power Building: Reflections of Community Development Leaders and Practitioners
|2003, Volume 9|
- Suzanne Blanc, Matthew Goldwasser, and Joanna Brown, From the Ground Up: The Logan Square Neighborhood Associations Approach to Building Community Capacity.
- Robert O. Bothwell, The Decline of Progressive Policy and the New Philanthropy.
- Wolfgang C. Goede, Civil Journalism & Scientific Citizenship: Scientific Communication "of the people, by the people and for the people."
- Eva Gold and Elaine Simon, Successful Community Organizing for School Reform:
- Margaret Groarke, Organizing Against Overfinancing: The Northwest Bronx Coalition Campaign Against Freddie Mac.
- Daniel Padolsky, Civic Disengagement in the Czech Republic: How to Engage the Disengaged
- Robert Mark Silverman, Citizens' District Councils in Detroit: The Promise and Limits of Using Planning Advisory Boards to Promote Citizen Participation.
- Suzanne M. Singh, Neighborhood Strengthening through Community Building.
- Carl Tjerandsen, Education for Citizenship: A Foundation's Experience. A full-length book analyzing the community organizing and community education projects supported by the Emil Schwarzhaupt Foundation.
- Julie Chizewer Weill and Lee Winkelman, Faith-Based Community Organizing: A Unique Social Justice Approach to Revitalizing Synagogue Life. Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Lutz Wessels, Research! Investigating, Organising and Fighting.
|2002, Volume 8|
- Moshe ben Asher, Perspectives on Theory and Practice: A Collection
- Moshe ben Asher, Secession is Not the Solution
- Judy Hertz, Organizing for Change: Stories of Success
- Ian "Tay" Landry, The Homeless Men of Halifax: Organizing for Action
- Kathleen Staudt and Christine Thurlow Brenner, Higher Education Engages with Community: New Policies and Inevitable Political Complexities
- Randy Stoecker, Thinking About Community Organizing and Development: A Collection
- Peter Szynka, Community Organizing and the Alinsky Tradition in Germany
- Peter Szynka, Three Alinskys? Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Larry Yates, Housing Organizing for the Long Haul: Building on Experience. Also see the discussion on this paper.
|2001, Volume 7|
- Anthony Agbali, Jason Booza, Jennifer Creighton, Amanda Dudley, Richard Fancy, Lance Greene, Amy Howell, Kevin Johnson, Ken Kelso, Rachel Klamo, Mary Mans, Alexandria Meriano, Elizabeth Pare, Girthia Porchia, Michelle Proctor, Oliver Rue, Tim Scrimger, Joseph White, Shihong Yao, University City - Woodbridge Historic Area Together: A Community Study of the Woodbridge Historic District, Detroit, Michigan.
- Robert O. Bothwell, Foundation Funding of Grassroots Organizations.
- James DeFilippis, Our Resistance Must Be As Local As Capitalism: Place, Scale and the Anti-Globalization Protest Movement.
- James DeFilippis, On Community, Economic Development and Credit Unions: The Case of Bethex FCU and the South Bronx.
- Autumn Leonard, Tomás Aguilar, Mike Prokosch, and Dara Silverman, Local and Global Organizing after 9/11
- Kavitha Mediratta and Clay Smith, Advancing Community Organizing Practice: Lessons from Grassroots Organizations in India
- Mark R. Warren and Richard L. Wood, Faith-Based Community Organizing the State of the Field:A report of the findings of a national survey conducted by Interfaith Funders, Jericho, NY.
|2000, Volume 6|
- Todd Harvey and others, Gentrification and West Oakland: Causes, Effects and Best Practices.
- Michael Leo Owens, Political Action and Black Church-Associated Community Development Corporations. Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Dirk Slater, Low-Income Grassroots Organizations Work to Close the Digital Divide
- Randy Stoecker, Cyberspace vs. Face to face: Community Organizing in the New Millennium
|1999, Volume 5|
- Steve Callahan, Neil Mayer, Kris Palmer, and Larry Ferlazzo, Rowing the Boat with Two Oars. Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Luz Guerra, Technical Assistance and Progressive Organizations for Social Change in Communities of Color: A Report to the Saguaro Grantmaking Board of the Funding Exchange
- Douglas R. Hess, Community Organizing, Building and Developing: Their Relationship to Comprehensive Community Initiatives.
- James Mumm, Victory in Sight: Community Organizations and Popular Governance.
- Dixon Slingerland, Community Building on Capitol Hill.
- James Whelan , Smogbusters in Queensland.
|1998, Volume 4|
- Anthony De Jesus, Implicit Protest on Urban Battlegrounds: The X-Men, The Greater Egleston Coalition And the Establishment of the Greater Egleston Community High School.
- Corey Dolgon, Universities in Crisis; Workers in Struggle: The Knowledge Industry, Political Solidarity, and Applied Sociology. Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Randy Stoecker, Are Academics Irrelevant? Roles for Scholars in Participatory Research. Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Janice K. Tulloss, Transforming Urban Regimes - A Grassroots Approach to Comprehensive Community Development: The Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative. Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Heather West, Community Organizing in Ohio: a Need for Networking, Assistance and Support.
- Lee Winkelman, Massachusetts Community Development Corporations and Community Organizing.Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Mark Warren, Project Director. Faith-Based Community Organizing: Evaluating the Role of Religious Congregations in Democratic Action and Community Development. Revised Discussion Papers Presented at the 1997 Annual Meeting of the Association for the Sociology of Religion
- Biographical sketches for the contributors
- Mark Warren--Introduction and a Call for Participation
- Michael Byrd--Left-Wing Mainline Cognitive Structure and IAF Organizing in Metro Nashville
- Donna C. (Katie) Day--Church-based Community Organizing: Philadelphia Perspectives
- Omar McRoberts--Congregation-Based Community Organizing and the Challenge of Urban Religious Diversity
- Mark Warren--Connecting People to Politics: The Role of Religious Institutions in the Texas Industrial Areas Foundation Network
- Richard L. Wood--Faith and Power. Also see the discussion on this paper.
|1997, Volume 3|
- Stephen E. Barton, Property, Community, Democracy: Barriers to Social Democracy in the Beliefs of San Francisco Neighborhood Leaders
- Peter Dreier, The Struggle for Our Cities (previously published in Social Policy, Summer 1996)
- Stephen E. Barton, A History of the Neighborhood Movement in San Francisco (previously published in the Berkeley Planning Journal, Vol. 2, No. 1-2, Spring and Fall 1985, pages 85-105
- Alma H. Young and Jennifer E. Subban, Strengthening Community Development Through Literacy (guest edited by Wendy Plotkin). Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Kristina Smock, Comprehensive Community Initiatives: A New Generation of Urban Revitalization Strategies
- Jeannie Appleman, Evaluation Study of Institution-Based Organizing for the Discount Foundation
- Dave Beckwith, with Cristina Lopez, Community Organizing: People Power from the Grassroots. Also see the discussion on this paper.
|1997, Volume 3 (edited by Wendy Plotkin)|
- Francis Calpotura and Kim Fellner, "The Square Pegs Find Their Groove" A critique of Alinsky-style organizing in contemporary life, including discussion of Gary Delgado's BEYOND THE POLITICS OF PLACE and Mike Miller's "Critique" of that piece.
|1996, Volume 2 (edited by Wendy Plotkin)|
- Amy Begg, "Enoch Pratt Free Library and Its Service to Communities of Immigrant Residents of Baltimore in the Progressive Period, 1900-1914"
- Michael Byrd, "You Will Rebuild Your Ancient Ruins": Religion, the IAF, and Community-Based Organizing in Metropolitan Nashville
- Charles Casey-Leininger, "Planning, Community Control and the Persistent Ghetto in Cincinnati, 1956-1980" Also see the discussion on this paper
- Ira Harkavy & John L. Puckett, Lessons from Hull House for the Contemporary Urban University
- Mike Miller, critique of Gary Delgado's "Beyond the Politics of Place"
- Carl Milofsky and Albert Hunter, "The Force of Tradition at Toynbee Hall: Culture and Deep Structure in Organizational Life"
- Patricia Mooney-Melvin, Before the Neighborhood Revolution: Cincinnati Neighborhood Improvement Associations, 1890-1950
- Robert Slayton, Review of S. Horwitt LET THEM CALL ME REBEL: THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF SAUL ALINSKY (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1987)
- Randy Stoecker, "The Community Development Corporation Model of Urban Redevelopment: A Political Economy Critique and An Alternative" (Revised, August, 1996) Also see the discussion on this paper
- Randy Stoecker & Susan Stall, "Community Organizing or Organizing Community?: Gender and the Crafts of Empowerment".(Revised November 1997). Also see the discussion on this paper.
- Keith Tankard, The Establishment of a "Native Vigilance Association" at East London
- Thomas Tresser, "How Do the Arts Build Communities?"
- Richard L. Wood, "Faith in Action: Religion, Race, and the Future of Democracy" (Abstract of and auxiliary materials related to 1995 Ph.D. Dissertation at University of California at Berkeley.)
|1995, Volume 1 (edited by Wendy Plotkin)|